Thursday, March 24, 2011

The 2010 (83rd) Best Pictures



127 Hours (2010)
To sum up: Dude goes into the desert and gets his arm squished by a huge rock and hallucinates for 5 days until he finally goes crazy enough to escape.

Pros:
-Acting
-Suspense
-Scenery
-Generally, it kept my emotions going

Cons:
-The Flashbacks [they weren't bad, and they were definitely necessary to some degree, but some of them dragged on]

Overall:
I enjoyed it and thought it was better than most of the films I've seen lately. Deserves an Oscar nom.

Black Swan (2010)
To sum up: This woman is living vicariously through her daughter, a ballerina obessed with perfection and goes crazy trying to be the Black Swan.

Pros:
-Pretty girls

Cons:
-Director
-Atmosphere
-Hype
-Acting
-Story
-Pace

Overall:
I want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon after seeing this. I do not think it deserves any awards.

Inception (2010)
To sum up: Leonardo DiCaprio gets hired to implant an idea into some guy's head, which is oh so hard and only been done once before - by none other than Leo himself! - but that stirs up a whole bunch of emotions and a dark past, dun dun dun.

Pros:
-Acting
-Nifty concept
-Popcorn flick, kind of enjoyable

Cons:
-Media reaction
-Drawn-out
-Not very exciting [which I think it was going for, so it didn't achieve that]

Overall:
It's a good film for, like, a Saturday night but by no means is it great. Maybe some recognition, but not for Best Picture.

The Fighter (2010)
To sum up: Some Irish [he's really just an American who thinks he's cool for being of Irish descent] boxer goes against his family, which used to mean the world to him, for his career and, of course, a girl.

Pros:
-Honestly? I can't think of any

Cons:
-Acting
-Story
-Characters

Overall:
I don't get this film. It's just bleck. Go watch Rocky. Obvi I don't think it deserves awards.

The Kids Are All Right (2010)
To sum up: Two penis-obsessed lesbians have two children who contact their sperm donor and let him into their lives, and, obviously, one of the penis-obsessed lesbians have sex with him.

Pros:
-Yey lesbians?
-I don't know

Cons:
-It was kind of awkward. The whole thing. The acting, the characters, the story. awkward.
-lesbians who have sex with men.

Overall:
I don't understand. This was an awkward film that doesn't deserve any awards. I even love Julianne Moore.

The Social Network (2010)
To sum up: The douche who created facebook faces two lawsuits because everyone is jealous of him and they're rich and American, so they can do that.

Pros:
-Acting
-Writing [to some extent. The dialogue]

Cons:
-FACEBOOK DOES NOT NEED A MOVIE! At least not yet! D:
-Slow
-Kind of boring

Overall:
Eduardo's character was the only part I liked. I think this is going to win, though, even though I don't think it deserves it.

Toy Story 3 (2010)
To sum up: Andy's toys don't listen to Woody again and end up at a daycare of evil toys and eventually Woody has to be the hero and save them.

Pros:
-Roller-Coaster ride of emotions
-Characters
-Good end to a fabulous story

Cons:
-Roller-Coaster ride of emotions
-IT ENDED!!!!

Overall:
YES! This is a good film. I hope I'm not saying that because I am too attached, but I don't think I am. The film engaged the audience and brings you fully into the story. I'm glad it got nominated for Best Picture.

True Grit (2010)
To sum up: A forceful young woman and two old dudes cross the Wild West in search of her fathers' murderer.

Pros:
-Coen Brothers
-Acting
-Dialogue

Cons:
-The story didn't interest me, sry

Overall:
It was better than I was expecting. And I kind of want to see the original, just to see how it changed. I would say yes, it deserves the nom.

Winter's Bone (2010)
To sum up: A teenage girl has to find out what happened to her father before the government takes her house.

Pros:
-Acting
-Scenery
-Atmosphere
-Story
-Characters

Cons:
-It lacked something ... like a bit of background, I think? Maybe? Depth? [I mean, it had *depth*, but I'm saying like ... I felt a bit like I was watching a story, not coming into someone's life. Like, it started as soon as I pressed play, not me jumping into the middle. Does that make sense?]

Overall:
YES YES YES!!! Definitely my pick for Best Picture 2010!!!!


...and finally, dun dun DUN...



The King's Speech (2010)
To sum up: King George VI and an unconventional Australian speech therapist spent their days swearing to improve the King's stammer.

Pros:
-Acting
-Atmosphere
-Chemistry between Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush
-Good ending

Cons:
-The middle kind of dragged

Overall:
It went from good, to dragging, to very good. Yeah, ok, some awards [for acting]. I'm on the fence about Best Picture, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment